Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Kirk Cameron officially deserves a kidney punch. Or seven.

Back in the day, Growing Pains was one of my favorite shows to watch on a Tuesday night, and part of the reason why I loved that show was because I loved Kirk Cameron, the guy who played the son, Mike Seaver. I swear, he is the only celebrity I ever wrote a fan letter to.

So that's embarrassing.




I just read an article about Kirk Cameron, in which he stated that women should be submissive to their husbands, that wives are to honor and respect and follow their husbands lead, not to tell their husband how to be a better husband.

“Wives are to honor and respect and follow their husband’s lead, not to tell their husband how he ought to be a better husband,” he opined. “When each person gets their part right, regardless of how their spouse is treating them, there is hope for real change in their marriage.” Kirk Cameron

Huh.

So Kirk Cameron has been "happily married" for 24 years, and has 6 kids. He's an Evangelical Christian. And wow, he is apparently a male chauvinistic asshole, too. A dude who believes he is superior to his wife because he is a MAN.  A guy who thinks that "regardless of how they are being treated," (Really???) women should basically bow down to their husbands and kiss their feet in gratitude.

I'll tell you this.  I enjoy being a wife and taking care of my family.  I enjoy taking care of my husband.  And truth be told, I'm completely fine in the "traditional" role as a wife.  I like being home taking care of things here while my husband is off bringing home the bacon.  It works for us.  But in no way, shape or form will I ever believe that my husband is superior to me because he is a man.  And I don't "serve" him, I work with him to make a successful and happy relationship. I don't "listen to him," because he tells me to do something.  First of all, he never tells me to do something, because I am a grown up.  And secondly, I listen to him because I value his opinion. NOT because I am submissive. 

I do honor and respect my husband - and he honors and respects me.  We are EQUALS in our marriage. So put that in your pipe and smoke it, Kirk Cameron. And I take back whatever I said in my fan letter from 1984ish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment